Two pairs of earplugs please!

Last night Tanner and I slept on the couch.

We actually went to bed at the same time Kollin did for once. I was beat tired from my day at Primary's, and I'm sure Tanner was too.

We woke up around 2:30 or so cuz Tanner was hungry. I fed him and put him back in his bassinet to go back to sleep at about 3. He didn't give me any arguments either. He was still pretty tuckered out.

The only problem was that between 3 and 4:30 (which is when I finally moved to the couch), Kollin's snoring was keeping both of us up. I don't know how, but I have been able to fall asleep before amidst this soundtrack. That has all gone out the window with Tanner present.

The snoring either scares him or I don't know what. But he would whimper a little bit, start breathing fast and suck on his bink faster in perfect unison when Daddy would let out a really loud snore. And this, in turn, would keep me from being able to fall back asleep.

I tried rolling Kollin to his side... pinched his nose shut... put my hand on his face (my mom said she did that with my dad, and it always worked)... even elbowed him every now and then. Nothing worked!

Finally after an hour and a half of this, I gave up and decided we were going to sleep in another room. I think Tanner was half asleep, and I didn't want to pick him up and wake him completely. Once the little guy is asleep, he can sleep through any sound. But any movement and he's up.

With this being said, I figured I would roll his pack and play out into the living room so I could hopefully avoid waking him. It was a good plan in my head. I got the pack and play to the door, and it wouldn't fit through! I figured it was the changing station attachment that was too wide, so I took it off and propped it up on Kollin's side of the bed (serves him right). But alas, it still wouldn't fit through. Crap.

I was quite agitated and getting more frustrated at this point, so I just decided to pick Tanner up and have him sleep on one of the couches with me. I chose to sleep on Troy's (Kollin's brother) couch since it is wider and cushier. He didn't wake up during the transfer. Whew!

Then around 9 I believe, I heard Kollin come out of the bedroom. He stood next to us for a second not sure if I was still asleep or not. When I opened my eyes, he asked if everything was ok. I came back with, "You have GOT to do something about your snoring!"

He sure felt bad.

I told him the story from earlier in the morning, and how he was keeping both Tanner and me up. He now feels even worse.

I asked him what he thought when he first noticed we weren't in the bedroom. He said that when he saw the pack and play in a different spot of the room than where it usually is, he thought, "This must have been an adventure!" He also said when he first came out, he looked for us on the other couch in where the TV is. Since I was not on this couch, he got a little worried. But then when he made it to Troy's couch and saw both of us, he was relieved. awww. :)

He has, however, agreed to try those nose strip things that supposedly open up your nose, and will HOPEFULLY keep him from snoring so much.

They should help him more than that too. He usually complains about waking up with a headache and all stuffy. I keep telling him to go and see a nose, throat and ear specialist. But being the biggest procrastinator I have ever met, he has yet to do this.

So hopefully the nose strips will help for the time being and all 3 of us can all sleep in the same room! (at least until I get the guts up to leave Tanner in his own room overnight, then just the 2 of us)


Marsh Mayhem said...

Sorry about the snoring issue (and the procrastinating one)! We've dealt with those, too. One thing that works is calling the procrastinator in question and informing them that an appointment has been made (by you, of course) and when to be there. That's how we've gotten issues resolved in the past. Also, does Kollin have allergies? Maybe taking an allergy medication just before bed would help. Good luck! (And next time, kick him out onto the couch!) ;)

Courtney said...

Oh Ali, I can't even tell you how many nights I've had lately JUST like this! John doesn't even snore that loud but every time I wake up to feed Hannah I can't get back to sleep for a long time because even his deep breathing makes me crazy! I've tried the earplugs, listening to my ipod, sleeping in the other room (though I don't sleep well on the couch so I've only tried that once), so let me know if you find something that works, k?

Also, thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog. I would LOVE to get together sometime...we need to get a picture of our two little tiny babies together (though Hannah is starting to not look so tiny, but she's still a lot smaller than Johnny was at her age!). I am so impressed with YOU and what an amazing job you have done conquering all the challenges you've had the last few months.

Rachel said...

Hi, Just a little hint if K is waking up with headaches in the morning and snoring loudly he may have sleep apnea! Those are two of the signs, he really should get it checked out!!

Ali said...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Anne- He doesn't have allergies, that's all my department. He's so lucky! But maybe something like that would still help and clear him up at night?

Court- So far the nose strips seem to be working. If I come up with anything else that works well, I'll let you know! Also let me know anytime you would like to hang out with just you or with the kids!

Rach- I know he does have sleep apnea. There are times at night that he stops breathing for a while and it freaks me out! I'm hoping Tanner doesn't do the same thing... he's not so far. That is another reason I want him to see a doctor.